Thursday, May 17, 2007

Travels with George



When I decided to do this extended trip, I felt like I needed a theme to hang my adventures together. I was out to dinner with Kirsten Smith talking about my dilemma - when it hit us! Are you familiar with the concept of a Flat Stanley? Its a cartoon drawing of a man named Stanley that gradeschool kids sent to farflung relatives and friends - with the expectation that these folks will have many adventures with Stanley and then send pictures, postcards, etc back to the kids so that they can all share their Stanleys' stories - and learn about geography.



Well, I have a flat friend, too, but his name ain't Stanley. Meet George. George Clooney. Man of the world that he is, George is accompanying me on this journey - and will be my in for a connection and laugh around the world.



I test drove George in Washington DC 2 weeks ago - and he was a hit. George loves politicians. So see George and I with Representative Jerry McNearney, our House rep from the Fighting California 11th district. Jerry was kind enough to pose with us as we crossed from the Canon building to the Capital to watch a debate on adding gay/transgender categories to the Federal Hate Crimes Bill.
Here is George with my friend Karin and her niece, Sophie - we had just had a great pub meal near Karin's house in Marlow, UK, the night before I flew to Poland. I love Sophie's look - coquetish!






No comments: