Friday, July 20, 2007

I am the Quietest Person in Italy - Venice

I think I am pretty sophisticated, maybe even a bit jaded having seen so many major European sites this summer. Then I get to Venice, walk out of the train station, and see a scene like below.... and just start laughing out loud! Its so grand and different and amazing and over-the-top scenic. And packed with tourists.


The city's Grand Canal, shown above, is like a backwards "S" through the city, which is like a bunch of smaller islands smooshed together. The unexpected thing for me was all the smaller canals .... and the resulting little bridges connecting them, like the pic to the left. Looks cute, but when you are rolling your suitcase to your hotel, you have to haul it up and down these steps. Great for my arms! But I kept thinking what the hell do all those out of shape older Americans do in the same situation. More later.



You travel around the city by walking, water taxi which are really expensive, or by boat bus... which is a great way to also see the canals. Here are some houses lining the canal. Note the doors right on the water for folks that boat to their house and enter from the water.




There were several favorite squares for me, this is one of them. Had dinner on this square to people watch two nights. The title of this blog is because I was overwhelmed with how bloddy loud the Italians are! Every conversation sounds like a fight, and there are a lot of conversations. Franny, who is Italian, once told me I was too calculated with my emotions. From her prespective, next to Italians, she may be right. I feel pity for introverted Italians, they must feel like orphans.
I like to call this picture...Lemoncello.
Made my way to San Marcos Square.. Its a huge place filled with pigeons and stupid tourists feeding these aerial rats so that they can get a picture... I loved the clock tower on the square, had an interesting clock with 24 hour marks, not 12, a lion (for St Mark, patron saint of Venice), and two folks banging on the bell on the top. This pic is from the loggia, or patio, of beautiful St Marks Basilica.





The facade of San Marcos Basilica...its all Baroquey, curly cues, golden mosaics, bronze horses stolen by Venice from Constantinople, and of course the ubiquitous lions... I loved it! The inside, which sadly you can't take pictures in, is 10 times as gawdy and alive - from mosaic'ed golden domes to intricate stone and marble tiled patterned floors.







I liked this pic, a gondolier sipping a Red Bull, like he needed the energy to row.







Top of the facade of San Marcos.







The Grand Canal at night.



Pont de Rialto, one of the main bridges over the Grand Canal. Its a wide bridge, the far side is like this one... an open staircase. In the middle its a street of shops, in the buildings behind the steps. Very medieval of them to have commerce on the bridge itself.








I just love the clothes drying outside in Europe, its so personal and familial.















Grrrr, I hate "lion" on my side.













Ah, my little dreamland.... the island of Murano, a separate island just north of Venice known for its glass-making. I spent the day there, shopping, shopping, shopping. I haven't much room in a rolling bag/backpack for 4.5 months, but mentally I was saving room for this day! Here is a nifty glass tree next to yet another scenic clocktower.








Sigh, an irritatably scenic town.















At dinner one night, I was mesmorized by this house, the windows kept capturing the trees and skies and light. These window shapes are quinessential Venice..... I haven't seen their shape elsewhere in Italy.













San Marcos Square, with the Basilica in the center rear, non-descript humongous buildings lining it on the sides and behind me to keep in the tourists who feed pidgeon/rats, and the Campanille watchtower. I went up the tower immediately to a sense of the island. I love climbing towers like this... feel a real sense of accomplishment. Sadly, this one didn't use the stairs, instead had an elevator, so the riffraff got to come up, too.
A view from up top, looking over the square and towards the mainland.
The five domes of San Marcos seen from the clocktower.

A glimpse of the real gold mosaics - this one is from outside the basilica, but imagine a huge church FILLED WITH THESE !!!!!!!!!!! Its amazing. I am so Polish, love the gawdy and over the top decor like this. Mom would be proud.











Locals use boats like cars, since there really aren't roads, and cars cannot drive in the city (people in California are scratching their heads right now in confusion).
So, that means their dogs ride the boats, too!










There are two towers in San Marcos square, here is the lion from the top of one. Public executions were done between these two towers.

Remember the lions from Korcula Island, Croatia? They were the southernmost point of the Venetian empire at its peak so it looks like a mini-Venice in alot of ways.








A moment a peace in a frenetic city.
















I bought a 36 hour boat bus pass to make it easier getting around, so that meant that the busboat folks went on strike the next day. It was good for everyone in that it got us all walking off the pasta. And I had to laugh, there were total traffic jams on the smaller canals as people took spendy gondolas (80 Euro, so $110) to get around as an alternative. How romantic to be bumping up against other cranky tourists !







A peek from my window to the street below. How, you ask, do people move stuff, and people around, if there are no streets big enough to drive a truck? Carts !!! Here are several queued up to unload in front of the grocer across the street. Its a high-touch infrastructure - imagine the hands-0n effort it takes to move food, laundry, etc around the city for the 50,000 tourists in town on a given July day.






Arghhhhh, I shoulda avoided that quattro fromaggio pizza.
















A very pretty square - had lunch facing this building, and was quite taken by the detailed marble all over the face. Turns out this is the front door of the city's major hospital.












And looking around the corner I figured out how they move around the older Americans having heart attacks from hauling their suitcases up and down canal bridges.


Canals are streets, and streets need stoplights, so,..... here is a stoplight, showing red in front of the middle window of the house opposite. Makes sense, I still think its cute.












Heee, heee ,heee wish I could have found this train!

















YUM! Not sure what kind of food contributes the colors here but doesn't it look good - Bon Appetite!






























































No comments: